Beans and noodles – or beans and Pasta or spaghetti – is something of a combination that can be found all over Rome. It’s like the Nangyi or Shan Noodles found in Myanmar. There are many ways to make it with what’s available on hand and also according to preference. It is a filling noodle soup like a dish and it is simple to make. With anchovies, it might even give the flavor that your Myanmar customers like!
1. 450 g of tinned/canned chickpeas
2.1 garlic clove
3. 2 anchovies, chopped
4. 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil + additional for drizzling
5. 1 tbsp. of tomato purée, or diced tomatoes
6. 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves only roughly chopped
7.4 L stock (beef or vegetable)
8. 200g of pasta or spaghettini
9. Sea salt
10. Freshly ground black pepper
1.Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Set aside.
2.Slice garlic cloves, sauté in the extra virgin olive oil on medium-low heat for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in anchovies until melted.
3. Mix in tomatoes drained chickpeas and chopped rosemary. Pour the stock into the pan.
4.Season with salt to taste, mix well, cover and leave to cook for 15 minutes
5. Cook the pasta/spaghettini of your choice in the chickpea soup, stirring often so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Add some warm water or extra stock depending on how long your pasta takes to cook so it does not dry out. Keep soup consistency runny, as it will thicken once off the heat.
6.Serve warm and top off with pepper & olive oil drizzle according to preference.
Cooking time- 40 mins